A variation of the Honey Wheat Ale kit from Barleycorn’s Home Brew in Natick, Massachusetts. Plus blood oranges.
- 12oz. Wheat Malt
- 6oz. Row Malt
- 8oz. Munich Malt
- 5.5lbs. Wheat Extract
- 1.5lbs Pure Honey (15 minutes)
- 0.8oz. Hallertaur Hops (bittering, ~45 minutes)
- 0.4oz. Hallertaur Hops (flavor, ~30 minutes)
- 0.3oz. Tettnanger Hops (finishing/aroma, ~15 minutes)
- 4 Blood Oranges (directions below)
- 1/2 teaspoon Irish Moss
- Wyeast #3068 Weihenstephan
Peel the blood oranges, and remove as much of the white rind as possible. I did this by grating the inside of the orange peels against a cheese grater; if you have a better idea, go for it (the rind is particularly bitter, so you don’t want too much).
Dice the remaining blood orange slices and peels into small pieces.
Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and add the blood orange as the water comes back down to room temperature. Add this “Blood Orange Tea” to the fermenter once it’s reached room temperature.
I also separated some of the blood orange peel to add into the boiling wort for the last 10 minutes of the boil.
Primary Fermenter: 3/22